Maritime Models, Instruments & Art Sale
on Wednesday 29th April 2009

Lots: 61-90 of 283

Lot

Description & Estimate

VAT on
hammer

Image

Hammer
price

61

THE BOUNTY: DESCENDANTS OF THE MUTINEERS, PITCAIRN ISLAND
a comprehensive report from the Quarterly Review with the texts of two letters from Captain Mayhew Folger of the Topaz (Boston) and Captain Thomas Staines of H.M.S. Briton. Folger's letter dated Nantucket, March 1st,1813, refers back to his discovery in February 1808 of the last refuge of the Mutineers which was rediscovered by Sir Thomas Staines in his report from Valparaiso on 18th October 1814. Both Captains thought the island uninhabited and were amazed to find a settlement of 40-46 English speaking grown up young people and one 50-60 year old mutineer, John Adams, also referred to as Alexander Smith who had sailed with Captain Bligh on the Bounty -- 41in. (104cm.), page 2, columns 2 & 3, in an original and complete issue of THE TIMES, dated 16th December, 1815
Estimate: 400-600

0%

Click to view enlarged image

    

62

H.M.S CYCLOPS: A CASED SPRIG FROM THE MOUNT OF OLIVES
contained within a small mahogany box with paper label inside lid inscribed Sprig from Mouth of Olives, May 1841, H.M.S. Cyclops, Lieut T. Short, Garden of Olives dar hallow'd spot, The fame of Thy wonders shall ne'er be forgot - 4in. (10cm.) diameter; together with two brass model anchors; a small model of a coracle with paddle and a ship in bottle (5)
Estimate: 200-300

Nil

Click to view more images

    

63

AN HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT LOG BOOK FOR H.M.S. TRAFALGAR INCLUDING HER CRIMEAN WAR BOMBARDMENTS OF ODESSA AND SEBASTOPOL IN 1854
completed between 29th July 1850 with Admiral Montagu Stopford hoisting his flag, and 10th April 1855 with stores being returned to the Dockyard and main topmast being "struck", written in a tight neat hand with between one and two weeks of entries per page in ruled sections and detailing usual shipboard procedures and weather observation, including her period of service in the Black Sea for the Bombardment of Odessa, 23 April 1854: 4.30 "Fury" Opened fire on the batteries of Odessa, 6.30 Ditto, anchored; and a long entry for the Bombardment of Sebastopol, 17th October 1854: AM at 7h The Allied forces on shore commenced firing... Arrived five steam transports.. cleared for action and got up 100 Rounds of shot for each Gun.. Weighed in tow of "Retribution" lashed alongside. Weighed in tow the "Britannia" and "Queen" weighed in tow of steamers the remainder of the Squadron following. Noon - standing in towards Sebastopol. Old French leading ship open Fire on the South Batteries, 1.45 "Terrible" opened fire on the North, lists further order of firing until The action becoming general, 3.18 "Trafalgar" opens fire... 3.25 "Trafalgar" drifting on "Rodneys" broadside, 3.35 the "Retributions" main mast shot away, 3.40 observed "Albion" being towed out of action, 4.50 set spanker and tried to take up station, 5h came to with steam anchor, and dropped B.B. ahead of "Britannia" and re-opened fire on the Large Fort... 5.15 After Main Shroud and Main Lift shot away, 5.39 ceased firing not being able to see the Object, 5.45 "Trafalgar" firing occasional Shots, Fleet in General proceeding out of the Action, 6.30 Small Batteries firing red hot shot on "Trafalgar", 7.40 Weighed and proceeded towards Anchorage, being the last ship out of the Action, 9.15 anchored in 25 fathoms; Squadron in Company, some of the spare pages after the logs' conclusion being used to list the crews for several other ships including Rattlesnake, Blonde, Excellent, Hastings, Pembroke and Monarch, bound between vellum-covered boards with marbled linings and page edges -- 13 x 8in. (33 x 21.5cm.)
The First Rate Trafalgar was ordered in February 1825 as the last of five 'Saint George' class three-deckers designed after the end of the Napoleonic Wars. Her keel was laid in Woolwich Dockyard in December 1829 but she was not ready for launching until the summer of 1841, having spent 11 years on the stocks. A large vessel of 2,694 tons measuring 205 feet in length with a 53 foot beam, she mounted 120 guns of varying calibre and required 1,000 men to crew her. Built by Oliver Lang at Woolwich, she was launched by him on 21st June 1841 with a crowd of 500,000 people said to have assembled to watch the spectacle. Initially employed as flagship to the Commander-in-Chief, Sheerness, she showed her mettle in the Crimean War when she took an active role in the twelve-hour bombardment of Odessa on 23rd April 1854 and the subsequent huge bombardment of Sebastopol on 17th October the same year. These triumphs also signalled the end of the supremacy of sail, as graphically illustrated by this lot, the great three-deckers which had successfully pounded the Russian defences had mostly been towed into position by steamships and it had become clear to the Admiralty that the future of the Pax Britannica lay with steam. Consequently, Trafalgar like most of her larger contemporaries - was docked for conversion and fitted with screw propulsion in a refit lasting a year from August 1858. Last at sea with the Reserve Fleet in 1869, she was then converted to a boys' training ship at Portsmouth and, when transferred to Portland in 1873, was renamed Boscawen. Finally sold out of the service in July 1906, she was broken up on the Thames after sixty-five years afloat.
Admiral the Hon. Sir Montagu Stopford, KCB (1798-1864) was the nephew of Admiral Sir Robert Stopford, GCB, GCMG, a flag officer of considerable fame who enjoyed a career of great distinction throughout the Napoleonic Wars. Young Montagu joined the Royal Navy in 1810 as a 1st class volunteer aboard his uncle's flagship Scipion for the conquest of Java (1811), and, thanks to his own talent, received rapid promotion to Lieutenant (1819), Commander (1822) and Post Captain (1825). Promoted to flag rank in 1853, on 4th August 1854 he was appointed Captain of the Fleet [in the Black Sea] and attached to Admiral Dundas's flagship Britannia. With the main naval activity in the Crimean War over by the end of that year, Stopford was then made Superintendent of the Dockyard at Malta (Jan. 1855 - July 1858) and retired on half-pay in 1863.
'Captain of the Fleet' is essentially a temporary Admiralty post, the officer so appointed being required to carry out all the C. in C.'s orders and also to maintain discipline throughout the fleet, an area in which his rulings are "supreme".
Estimate: 1000-1500

0%

Click to view more images

1100

64

A PAIR OF DECORATIVE BRASS NAVAL-TYPE GUNS

with 30in. four-stage barrels, set on stepped wooden naval trucks with brass fittings and wooden wheels

8 x 32in. (21.5 x 81.5cm.)
Estimate: 800-1200

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

1600

65

A PAIR OF 19TH-CENTURY MINIATURE BRASS CANNON

each with a 12in. five stage tapering barrel with raised mouldings, rounded cascabel stamped with proof marks beneath, mounted on brass-mounted naval-type carriages with brass trucks -- 4 x 13in. (12 x 35cm.) overall
Estimate: 1500-2000

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

1800

66

A 19TH-CENTURY MODEL BRASS SWIVEL GUN

the 9in. barrel mounted on a shaped teak base; together with a British iron restrike of the German Lusitania medal, in box; and two small iron cannon balls

(4)

Estimate: 100-150

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

160

67

A MODEL CANNON MADE FROM METAL RECOVERED FROM THE ROYAL GEORGE
the four-stage tapering barrel with inscription reading Relic of Royal George/Sunk/ 1782 raised 1840, mounted on a naval-type wooden truck (later) -- 7in. (19cm.) barrel length
Estimate: 200-300

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

220

68

A DETAILED AND WELL MADE 1:12 SCALE WOOD AND METAL MODEL OF A 68 POUND CARONADE OF THE TYPE SUPPLIED TO H.M.S. VICTORY
modelled by A. Walshaw with heavy two-stage tapering barrel with GRIII monogram in relief, ordnance marks, sights, bored touch hole, threaded cascabel elevation screw, mounted on hinged pivots to sliding oak platform with iron fittings, pinned to oak foundation, the rear with brass track wheel -- 4 x 8in. (11 x 21cm.)
Estimate: 300-400

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

    

69

A WELL CONSTRUCTED AND DETAILED 1:12 SCALE WOOD AND BRASS MODEL OF A CULVERIN OF THE TYPE USED ABOARD SIR FRANCIS DRAKE'S FLAGSHIP REVENGE
modelled by A. Walshaw with barrel after Thomas Owen's original of 1571, cast with Tudor Rose motif and "signed" Thomas Owen-Made This-Pece-Anno-DNI 1571, mounted on a metal fitted oak truck of marine type -- 4 x 11in. (10 x 28cm.)
Estimate: 250-350

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

260

70

A DETAILED WOOD AND METAL 1:12 SCALE MODEL OF A TUDOR DEMI-SLING OF THE TYPE USED ABOARD THE MARY ROSE
modelled by A. Walshaw with wrought iron hooped barrel fastened to a fitted long wooden truck with iron strapped wooden wheels and peg and tongue elevation -- 2 x 11in. (7 x 28.5cm.)
Estimate: 150-250

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

    

71

A LATE 18TH-CENTURY SWEDISH ANTREBILER OR BOARDING AXE
of typical construction, the head with long fore-and-aft langets through riveted to original stepped handle impressed '21E', both japanned overall -- 34in. (87.5cm.) long
Lit: Gilkerson, W: Boarders Away Vol 1, p.31-33.
Estimate: 800-1000

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

950

72

AN HISTORICALLY INTERESTING AMERICAN PRESENTATION PORTRAIT CANE FROM CAPTAIN SEMMES OF THE U.S. SHIP ALABAMA TO JOHN LANCASTER, OWNER OF THE S.Y. DEERHOUND, 1864
the tapering wooden twist-barley shaft with white metal cuff engraved Presented to JOHN LANCASTER Esq ./owner of the steam yacht DEERHOUND/as a token of grateful appreciation of the actions of his Captain E.P. Jones in the rescue of officers & men/of the Confederate cruiser "ALABAMA", lost/gallantly in battle with the "KEARSARGE"/off Cherbourg, June 19, 1864/by Captain R. SEMMES, terminating in a portrait bust, probably Semmes, handle -- 37in. (94cm.) high
Models of Alabama and Kearsarge are offered in lots 260 and 261 with a full description of their dramatic encounter. It is also well recorded that the resourceful Captain Semmes of Alabama evaded capture, along with about fifty of his men by the timely assistance of the Deerhound who had no doubt been enjoying the drama played out in the home waters of the English Channel.
Estimate: 1500-2000

Nil

Click to view more images

2600

73

AN EARLY 20TH-CENTURY ROYAL NAVAL MASTER-AT-ARMS SOLID HALF-BASKET HILTED SWORD

with 31in. etched steel blade stamped 'S.T. LONDON MADE', black wire-bound fish skin grip with stepped pommel, regulation bullion loop and scabbard as appropriate -- 37in. (96cm.) overall

Lit: May & Annis: Swords for Sea Service, HMSO, 1971, Sword No. 382 Vol 1, p.48; Vol 2 Plate 45.
Estimate: 200-300

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

200

74

A RARE VICTORIAN BROAD BLADE 1856-PATTERN NAVAL DIRK
the 12 x 1in. blade finely etched over both sides with VR monogram, wire-bound black fish skin grip with lion's head pommel (restoration, lacking scabbard) -- 17in. (44.5cm.) overall
Lit: May & Annis: Swords for Sea Service, HMSO, 1970, vol1 p.77. vol 2plt 63.
Estimate: 200-300

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

160

75

A 19TH-CENTURY OFFICER'S HALF-BASKET HILTED SWORD FOR THE ROYAL NAVY

with 26in. steel blade, white wire-bound fish skin grip, lion's head pommel with full-length mane, hinged thumb guard engraved A.W. Warry (lacks scabbard) -- 32in. (81.5cm.) overall
Estimate: 100-150

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

50

76

A REGULATION OFFICER'S CLOAK FOR THE ROYAL NAVY, CIRCA 1920
fine blue wool felt with white silk lining, tailor's label for Gieves Ltd. Inscribed R.C. Gordon, gilt metal fittings comprising lion's mask clasps, securing chain and regulation buttons -- 43in. (109cm.) high
Estimate: 100-150

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

80

77

A LARGE QUANTITY OF 19TH-CENTURY ROYAL NAVY UNIFORM REGULATION GILT BRASS BUTTONS
approximately one hundred and fifty comprising about fifty large and one hundred small, supplied from various makers including Firmin & Sons; W. Jackson; Pigott & Sons and Jennens & Co.; together with assorted lengths of mostly regulation gold braid
(A lot)
Provenance: These buttons etc. were cut from the various uniforms worn by Admiral Charles Starmer who entered the Royal Navy in 1818 as a First Class Volunteer. After service around the world, during which he was made Lieutenant in 1837, he fought with distinction in the naval brigade employed in the war with China in 1842 and was made Commander at the end of the same year. After successive promotions, he retired in 1885 with the rank of full Admiral.
Estimate: 80-120

Nil

Click to view more images

120

78

A RARE 19TH-CENTURY ROYAL NAVY RATING'S PLAITED STRAW HAT
with tally for H.M.S. Majestic, trimmed around the rim in cloth, the crown with button, remnant lining (old wear) -- 13in. (33cm.) diameter
H.M.S. Majestic was a battleship of nearly 15,000 tons built in 1895. Serving with the Channel Fleet in World War I, she was torpedoed by U-21 on 27th May 1915 sinking in just seven minutes with a total of forty casualties.
Estimate: 100-150

Nil

Click to view more images

130

79

H.M.S. TRAFALGAR: MEDITERRANEAN FLEET ANCHORAGES LOG, CIRCA 1897
An interesting log with each of seventy-four mapped anchorages describing modes of approach and departure of the fleet, the maps typically traced in ink on tracing paper and secured opposite text, index, fly leaf inscribed Commander J.S. Clarke, 3 Outram Terrace, Stoke, Devon, 8/11/97, loose notes requesting copies of this log be prepared for general circulation and a further letter from H.M. Consul Beirut regarding the visit of a French Admiral, bound with hard boards covered in sail cloth with pasted labels to front -- 13 x 8in. (33 x 20.2cm.)
Estimate: 300-500

0%

Click to view enlarged image

250

80

A DECORATIVE BRASS CASTING FROM THE FIRST CLASS ARMOURED CRUISER H.M.S. ACHILLES (1905)
from a tompion or badge and depicting the left-facing profile head of a helmeted Achilles mounted on an engine-turned copper plaque set within a circular brown Bakelite frame -- 7in. (19.5cm.) diameter
Estimate: 200-300

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

    

81

AN UNOFFICIAL BADGE FROM THE BATTLECRUISER H.M.S. INDOMITABLE (1908)
cast in brass and comprising a gothic "I" within a rope-bordered roundel surmounted by the Prince of Wales' feathers flanked by oak leaves -- 9in. (25cm.) high
Built by Clydebank and displacing 17,373 tons, the Indomitable was one of three "Invincible" Class battlecruisers. Although later condemned as badly conceived because of the name ship Invincible's destruction at Jutland, at the time they met all their contractual specifications and could cruise at over 25 knots. Indomitable was commissioned in June 1908 and a month later carried the Prince of Wales (later King George V) to Montreal, a fact recognised in the ship's chosen crest.
Estimate: 300-500

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

    

82

A PAIR OF EARLY 19TH-CENTURY COURT DRESS EPAULETTES FOR VICE ADMIRAL GOSSELIN
silver lace with bullions secured around a rigid bonnet trimmed in red silk and Morocco, eyelets for coat ties and maker's labels for Moore (late Bicknells & Moore) Old Bond Street., contained within red card box of issue, inscribed underneath Vice Admiral Gosselin / From William McGee/43 Conduit Street -- 10in. (25.5cm.) diameter (box)
Thomas Le Merchant Gosselin (1765-1857) born at St. Peter Port, Guernsey, entered the navy in 1778 and enjoyed an interesting naval career: Captured and released by enemy forces and present at some of the most interesting actions of the period, most notably The Battle of the Saintes, 12 April 1782, the Battle of the Glorious First of June, 1794 and the capture of Surinam in 1799. Marrying in 1809 he had no further career at sea, but became a rear-admiral in 1814, a vice admiral in 1815 and a full admiral in 1841. A similar pair of epaulettes, owned by Sir John Franklin, can be viewed in the collection of the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.
Estimate: 150-200

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

100

83

A CROSS MADE FROM TIMBER RECOVERED FROM H.M.S. WARSPITE (1913)
mounted on a pine plinth with engraved plate inscribed Made from the Jackstaff of/HMS Warspite/Glory to God, a second plate behind inscribed Presented to St. Lawrence's Church by G.E. Barnes Esq 1950 -- 14 x 11in. (37.5 x 28cm.)
Estimate: 100-150

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

70

84

A REVERSIBLE SILVER SOUVENIR BROOCH FOR H.M.S. FORMIDABLE
the 1in. roundel hinged in 1in. diameter frame with securing pin depicting the ship in profile, the reverse with Naval Crown inscribed H.M.S. FORMIDABLE under, Birmingham hallmarks for WMCo 1910, contained within a lignum vit box with lens to centre of threaded lid with retailer's label inscribed T.H.E. WELHAM MLG CO. MEDALLISTS 8 & 9 GREAT CHAPEL STREET LONDON W -- 2in. (5cm.) diameter
Formidable was a 15,000 ton battleship launched at Portsmouth in 1898. She met her end early in the Great War when, on 1st January 1915, she formed part of the 5th Battle Squadron under command of Vice Admiral Sir Lewis Bayley, C-in-C, Channel Fleet. Whilst steaming in line at a stately 10 knots off Start Point, Formidable, who was bringing up the rear, was torpedoed twice by U-24. Despite frantic efforts to save men in the water, of a complement of 780, 512 men were lost. Bayley was much criticised for his "want of prudence" and relieved of command. Despite his efforts, he was never able to re-open the enquiry and clear his name.
Estimate: 300-400

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

    

85

THE NAMEBOARD FROM THE ROYAL NAVY DESTROYER MATAPAN (1945)
nickel-plated brass lettering secured to a teak board -- 12 x 60in. (30.5 x 152.5cm.)
HMS Matapan was a John Brown-built Destroyer of 1945, sold from service to Vickers for breaking 1979.
Estimate: 400-600

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

250

86

A RARE PAIR OF BRASS BULKHEAD ELECTRIC LAMPS FROM THE ROYAL YACHT VICTORIA & ALBERT II (1899)
with recessed bulkhead support fronted with a scallop pierced by the tail of a stylised dolphin, the mouth supporting bulb fitting and cut glass cover (later) -- 14in. (35.5cm.) including shade
Gavin, C.M.: Royal Yachts, Rich & Cowan Ltd. Photographic Appendices image of Officer's Wardroom where lamps are viewed insitu.
Estimate: 1200-1500

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

    

87

A PLATED HALF PINT TANKARD FROM THE OFFICERS' WARDROOM OF THE ROYAL YACHT VICTORIA & ALBERT III
of bulbous form, the front engraved Royal Yacht within a garter, further stamped 'ER 6 PINT', the base with retailer's marks for Barker Bros. -- 4in. (10cm.) high
Estimate: 100-150

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

180

88

A RARE SERVING PLATTER FROM THE ROYAL YACHT PRINCE REGENT, CIRCA 1820
with transfer print rim and central devise for the Prince of Wales, pie crust border with cobalt blue edge trimmed in gilt, the reverse signed Sharpus & Co., Cockspur St. LONDON (1in. chip at '4' restored) -- 11in. (28cm.) diameter
When George, Prince of Wales, was declared Regent on 5th February, 1811, his appointment was followed by the building of two Royal Yachts: The Royal George (1817) and the Prince Regent of 282 tons, completed in 1815. She was given as a present to the Imam of Muscat in 1836.
Estimate: 800-1200

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

800

89

A RARE ROCK CRYSTAL CRAVAT PIN COMMEMORATING H.M.S. DISCOVERY (1901)
including a painted miniature of Discovery in ice entitled H.M.S. Discovery behind a bull's-eye of rock crystal, mounted on a yellow metal setting with pin -- 3in. (7.5cm.) high overall
Estimate: 800-1200

Nil

Click to view enlarged image

    

90

AFTER THOMAS WHITCOMBE
Capture of La Nerride, Dec 21st, 1797
Coloured mezzotint by Sutherland, published by Jenkins May 1st, 1816
8 x 10in. (20 x 27cm.) Framed; together with a modern reproduction in the manner of the Roux brothers entitled Fregate des Etats-Unis d'Amerique, courant au mouillage -- 13 x 17in. (33 x 43cm.) Framed (2)
Estimate: 150-200

Nil

Click to view more images

    

Index      Start of Catalogue      End of Catalogue      Previous Page      Next Page

Estimate & hammer price are GBP - UK Pounds.

Buyers Premium at our standard rate(s) plus VAT is payable on all purchases

A bullet indicates that the lot is subject to the Artist's Resale Right Scheme

Thumbnail images with a red border indicate multiple images

Click here for further details of Artist's Resale Right Scheme

Catalogue produced automatically by the CatMaker system. Precise column alignment cannot be guaranteed

Click here to return to CatMaker Website