Sale 14 (268): A Builders Half-Block Model for the Two-Masted Wooden Schooner Moonstone
Jan 6, 2015
Designed and built by Camper & Nicholson, 1879
Originally built for a Mr John Coulthurst, between 1896 to 1900 she was laid up in a mud berth at Camper & Nicholson's Lower Yard awaiting a buyer after Mr Coulthurst bought the 315 ton Francesca in 1896. In 1901-2 she belonged to J.Howden Freme but he sold her to J.R. Samuel in 1903. He in turn sold her to Harold K.M. Bellew in 1906 who sold her to The Canary Fruit & Fish Canning Co. in 1909 and who changed her name to Ways. She disappears from Lloyd's Yacht Register in 1910.
Charles Miller Ltd is grateful to Jeremy Lines, Voluntary Archivist for Camper & Nicholsons, for his assistance with this lot.
Carved from laminated wood and finished in 'copper' with black topsides and cutaway masts, mounted on contrasting blue display board inscribed MOONSTONE 158 TONS BM 1879, overall measurements -- 15 x 63in. (38 x 160cm.)
Sold for £2,280 inclusive of Buyers Premium