Sold for £52,000
Excellent original condition - believed untouched since carving left yacht in 1891.
We are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of this property. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Charles Miller Ltd is merely a subjective, qualified opinion. Prospective buyers should also refer to any Important Notices regarding this sale, which are printed in the Sale Catalogue. NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD “AS IS” IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS PRINTED IN THE SALE CATALOGUE.
THE FIGUREHEAD OF THE YACHT GELERT, R.Y.S., CARVED BY JAMES HELLYER OF HELLYER & SON TO THE ORDER OF R. & M. RATSEY'S YARD, WEST COWES, 1867
realistically carved in lime wood as a full-length crouching deer hound waiting for a command, his head alert with inset brown glass eyes looking up, mounted on a scrollwork bow section with thole pin and securing holes and finished in contemporary silver-grey polychrome -- 17 x 54 x 9in. (43 x 137 x 23cm.)
Provenance: Aboard Gelert, 1867-1891; Ratsey's Yard, Isle of Wight, 1891-c.1960s; Digby Coventry (1919-2014), acquired from Ratsey's dispersal sale on closure, c.1960s, and thence by descent.
The Hellyer family of carvers became famous for their carvings used by H.M.S. Warrior and the Cutty Sark, but had been active as mainly Naval Dockyard carvers for about 400 years before these commissions. Listed in contemporary directories as 'designers' as well as carvers, their name is a byword for quality, a fact that is readily confirmed by the exquisite handling of the example offered here. It is comparatively rare to know the name of the vessel a head was intended for and very rare to know the name of its designer and carver, confirmed in this case by an inscription added to the reverse of a contemporary photograph of this head used in the book British Figurehead & Ship Carvers by P.N. Thomas where it is stated to be inscribed By James Hellyer, carver to the Royal Navy.
The reportedly “fine schooner yacht” Gelert was built for Colonel Edward Loyd, a prominent member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, by Messrs. R. & M. Ratsey at West Cowes and launched from their yard by Mrs. Sandford, Colonel Loyd’s cousin, on 18th April 1867. Named for the legendary dog “Gelert” from Welsh folklore, the yacht was registered at 168 tons gross (94 net) and measured 98 feet in length with a 20 foot beam. Sporting the particularly distinctive figurehead being offered here, she attracted attention wherever she went but Loyd soon tired of her and she was laid up in 1870 and replaced with a 92-ton yawl called Day Dream. After ten years of idleness, Gelert was finally sold to Charles Howard, 5th Earl of Wicklow (in 1880) who unfortunately died the following year and was succeeded by his brother Cecil. Cecil Howard, the 6th Earl, like his deceased brother, was also a member of the R.Y.S. and he raced Gelert until 1889 when she was again laid up pending sale.
Late the following year (1890), the Gelert was lying in the Medina River awaiting a buyer when she was spotted by Prince Henry of Battenberg, an enthusiastic yachtsman who was looking to replace his 62-ton yawl Sheila with something larger. Instantly attracted to Gelert’s fine lines, Prince Henry bought her and, on 29th January, 1891, the Isle of Wight newspapers reported that:
“Prince Henry of Battenberg’s recently-purchased schooner, the Gelert, has been re-named the Sheila, after his old yacht, and she has undergone a complete refit at Cowes, which has been finished by placing a new figure-head on the vessel, which takes the form of a bust of Princess Beatrice.”
As stated so clearly in this newsprint, the beautiful figurehead of the dog Gelert had been removed and put into storage where it remained until purchased by the present owner’s grandfather in the 1960s. Replaced by a bust of Princess Beatrice, herein lay the simple reason for the survival of this splendid figurehead in such exceptional condition.
Prince Henry of Battenberg, born in 1858, was a morganatic descendant of the (German) Grand Ducal House of Hesse and was a familiar visitor to England and Queen Victoria’s extended family, so much so that in 1884 he became engaged to Princess Beatrice, the Queen’s fifth daughter and youngest child. The Queen however, would only approve the marriage provided the young Battenbergs made their home with her and the couple had no option but to agree. Married in 1885, Prince Henry was made Governor of the Isle of Wight in 1889, an event which probably sparked his desire for a larger racing yacht. Sadly, Prince Henry, having finally persuaded the Queen to allow him to go to West Africa to take part in the so-called Ashanti War, died of malaria during the campaign in January 1896. When the news reached the Queen, she is said to have cried out “The sunbeam in our home is GONE!”, and whether this is true or not, the Prince’s beloved yacht Sheila, formerly the handsome Gelert, quietly disappeared from record thereafter.
Auction: Maritime and Scientific Models, Instruments & Art ('Hesperus'), Tue, 30th Apr 2019
Pictures and Naval - 1-61
Sailor Art - 65-97
Shipwreck and East India Co. - 100-125
Collectables inc. Rowing, Liner and Fittings - 128-167
Ship Models - 250-287
Saturday, 27th April
(12noon - 5pm)
Sunday, 28th April
(12noon - 5pm)
Monday, 29th April
(10am - 5pm)
Tuesday, 30th April
(10am - 11am (limited view only))