26th Oct, 2011 12:00

Maritime and Scientific Models, Instruments & Art (Implacable)

 
  Lot 1
 

1

'BRUNSWICK DOCK ON THE RIVER THAMES AT...

'BRUNSWICK DOCK ON THE RIVER THAMES AT BLACKWALL',
drawn, engraved and published by William Daniel, London, October 20th, 1803, and dedicated to John Perry, depicting an interesting view of the pool and masting house beside a busy River Thames, retaining good original colour -- 20 x 34in. (51 x 86.5cm.) framed and glazed

The dedication reads: This noble basin was executed from the design & at the individual expense of John Perry Esqr. & was chiefly intended for the accommodation & protection of the Ships of the Honble. the East India Company. The whole excavation which contains about eight acres is divided into two parts (each having its distinct entrance) one of which is capable of receiving thirty of the largest East India Ships, & the other an equal number of smaller vessels. This great & useful work was begun on the 2nd March 1789 & the Dock was opened for the reception of Shipping on the 20th of November 1790.

Sold for £1,116
Estimated at £400 - £600

(inc. buyer's premium of 24%)


 
'BRUNSWICK DOCK ON THE RIVER THAMES AT BLACKWALL',
drawn, engraved and published by William Daniel, London, October 20th, 1803, and dedicated to John Perry, depicting an interesting view of the pool and masting house beside a busy River Thames, retaining good original colour -- 20 x 34in. (51 x 86.5cm.) framed and glazed

The dedication reads: This noble basin was executed from the design & at the individual expense of John Perry Esqr. & was chiefly intended for the accommodation & protection of the Ships of the Honble. the East India Company. The whole excavation which contains about eight acres is divided into two parts (each having its distinct entrance) one of which is capable of receiving thirty of the largest East India Ships, & the other an equal number of smaller vessels. This great & useful work was begun on the 2nd March 1789 & the Dock was opened for the reception of Shipping on the 20th of November 1790.