Thu, 17th Jul 2008 12:00

Maritime and Scientific Models, Instruments & Art (Phoenix)

 
Lot 120
 

120

A fine builder's model of the single-screw...

A fine builder's model of the single-screw steamer of the single screw general purpose cargo ship S.S. Maisie, built by Bartram & Sons, Sunderland for the Laming Steamship Co., 1911
with carved laminated hull, lined decks and superstructure with silvered fittings as appropriate, mounted on four silvered columns on raised plush-lined base within original mahogany glazed case with ivorine maker's plaque (some loose rigging)

19½ x 60½ x 16½in. (49.5 x 153.5 x 42cm.)

Originally ordered and owned by the Laming d'Ambrumeneil S. S. Co. Ltd with A. Leming & Co. acting as managers, the general cargo steamer Maisie was launched in October 1911. She registered 4,425 tons gross, was 385 feet long with a breadth of 52 feet and a depth of 25 feet, drawing a draft of 23'8", and was powered by three cylinder engines supplied by J. Dickinson & Sons Ltd. of Sunderland. Sold in 1917 to Portloe S.S. Co. Ltd she was re-named Scatwell. Changing hands twice more by 1919 she remained with the Cairn Line until 1928 when she was sold to SA and PA Lemos, was renamed Antonis G. Lemos and changed her registered port from London to Chios, Greece. She was sunk in a collision between Danzig and Buenos Aires on 24 August, 1936.

Sold for £21,080
Estimated at £8,000 - £10,000

(inc. buyer's premium of 24%)


 
A fine builder's model of the single-screw steamer of the single screw general purpose cargo ship S.S. Maisie, built by Bartram & Sons, Sunderland for the Laming Steamship Co., 1911
with carved laminated hull, lined decks and superstructure with silvered fittings as appropriate, mounted on four silvered columns on raised plush-lined base within original mahogany glazed case with ivorine maker's plaque (some loose rigging)

19½ x 60½ x 16½in. (49.5 x 153.5 x 42cm.)

Originally ordered and owned by the Laming d'Ambrumeneil S. S. Co. Ltd with A. Leming & Co. acting as managers, the general cargo steamer Maisie was launched in October 1911. She registered 4,425 tons gross, was 385 feet long with a breadth of 52 feet and a depth of 25 feet, drawing a draft of 23'8", and was powered by three cylinder engines supplied by J. Dickinson & Sons Ltd. of Sunderland. Sold in 1917 to Portloe S.S. Co. Ltd she was re-named Scatwell. Changing hands twice more by 1919 she remained with the Cairn Line until 1928 when she was sold to SA and PA Lemos, was renamed Antonis G. Lemos and changed her registered port from London to Chios, Greece. She was sunk in a collision between Danzig and Buenos Aires on 24 August, 1936.