Tue, 3rd Nov 2015 12:00

Maritime and Scientific Models, Instruments & Art ('Encounter')

 
Lot 303
 

303

A 1:48 scale builder's model of the collier...

A 1:48 scale builder's model of the collier S.S. Sir Johnstone Wright built for the central electricity authority by william pickersgill & sons ltd, sunderland, 1955
by the Sunderland Model Making Co., carved hull finished in two-tone red and black, black painted cargo decks with lined superstructure and fittings including deck rails, winches, ventilators, covered hatches, over bridge with binnacle, range finder, water tanks, superstructure with liveried funnel, lifeboats in davits, emergency steering over propeller and other details, mounted on four silver columns with original mahogany display case with ivorine plates, on associated table stand, cased model measurements -- 18 x 50 x 14in. (46 x 127 x 35.5cm.); table 30in (77cm) high; together with a watercolour of the Sir Johnstone Wright, signed 'John Mortimer' (lower right), framed size -- 20in x 24½in (51 x 62cm.); and a leather photograph album showing the launch of the Sir Johnstone Wright and the presentation of the model to Gordon Blain, retiring Fuel Supplies Officer.
(3)

Named in honour of Sir Johnstone Wright (1883-1953), chairman of the Central Electricity Board and president of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, the collier S.S. Sir Johnstone Wright was launched on the 18th August, 1955 for the express purpose of shipping coal from the North East of England to power stations in the South at the behest of the fuel supplies officer, Gordon Blain. In the year he retired (1976), she was sold and renamed Fanis by Christincoast Cia Naviera SA, of Piraeus, Greece before being broken up at Aspropyrgos in 1984.

Provenance: Gordon Blain and thence by descent.

This lot will be available for viewing at Imperial Road

Sold for £7,440
Estimated at £1,500 - £2,500

(inc. buyer's premium of 24%)


Condition Report
Fine overall condition.

We are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of this property. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Charles Miller Ltd is merely a subjective, qualified opinion. Prospective buyers should also refer to any Important Notices regarding this sale, which are printed in the Sale Catalogue. NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD “AS IS” IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS PRINTED IN THE SALE CATALOGUE.

 
A 1:48 scale builder's model of the collier S.S. Sir Johnstone Wright built for the central electricity authority by william pickersgill & sons ltd, sunderland, 1955
by the Sunderland Model Making Co., carved hull finished in two-tone red and black, black painted cargo decks with lined superstructure and fittings including deck rails, winches, ventilators, covered hatches, over bridge with binnacle, range finder, water tanks, superstructure with liveried funnel, lifeboats in davits, emergency steering over propeller and other details, mounted on four silver columns with original mahogany display case with ivorine plates, on associated table stand, cased model measurements -- 18 x 50 x 14in. (46 x 127 x 35.5cm.); table 30in (77cm) high; together with a watercolour of the Sir Johnstone Wright, signed 'John Mortimer' (lower right), framed size -- 20in x 24½in (51 x 62cm.); and a leather photograph album showing the launch of the Sir Johnstone Wright and the presentation of the model to Gordon Blain, retiring Fuel Supplies Officer.
(3)

Named in honour of Sir Johnstone Wright (1883-1953), chairman of the Central Electricity Board and president of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, the collier S.S. Sir Johnstone Wright was launched on the 18th August, 1955 for the express purpose of shipping coal from the North East of England to power stations in the South at the behest of the fuel supplies officer, Gordon Blain. In the year he retired (1976), she was sold and renamed Fanis by Christincoast Cia Naviera SA, of Piraeus, Greece before being broken up at Aspropyrgos in 1984.

Provenance: Gordon Blain and thence by descent.

This lot will be available for viewing at Imperial Road