A collection of First World War artefacts from the minesweeper H.M.Y. Medusa
comprising approximately thirty-four 13 x 8in. manuscript tracking charts of cruises undertaken throughout 1915-1916 in the North East of England, each with outline of coast and passage marked in red ink, each numbered and dated as appropriate; together with flags including the Royal Standard; White Ensign; Union Flag; Stars and Stripes; and two lignum vitæ speaking tube mouth pieces with hoses (one damaged); a rosewood ruler made from Britannia and an R.N. belt and buckle from H.M.S. Worcester, c.1865, with cabinet photograph of its owner wearing it.
The steel screw schooner Medusa was built for Alfred Farquar of Southampton by Day, Summers & Co. Ltd. and launched in 1906. Hired as a minesweeper by the Admiralty and fitted with 1-12pdr and 1-6pdr guns, she served from 12th January 1915 until released on 22nd March 1919. She was re-hired by the Navy in September 1939 and re-named Mollusc but was sunk by enemy air attack on 17th March 1941 off Blyth.