Wed, 29th Oct 2014 12:00

Maritime and Scientific Models, Instruments & Art (Wizard)

 
  Lot 50
 

50

ROYAL YACHT SERVING PLATE OFF ROYAL GEORGE,...

ROYAL YACHT SERVING PLATE OFF ROYAL GEORGE, 1817
an oval creamware serving plate, by Sharpus & Co., Cockspur Street, London, blue and white transfer printed decoration with gilded and scalloped edge, the plain white centre bearing the Prince of Wales' feathers within a crowned royal garter -- 12in. wide x 9½in. high (30.5 x 24cm.)

Apparently produced for the wardroom of the Royal George, the royal yacht most used by George IV when he was Prince Regent (1811-20). Named for the Prince, the future George IV, rather than his father, the ailing George III, the Royal George was built at Deptford in 1817 and bore all the hallmarks of the Regent's flamboyant taste. Carrying a full ship-rig on her three masts, she was measured at 330 tons burden and was 103 feet long on her main deck with a 26½ foot beam. Luxuriously fitted out in a manner befitting her status, she attracted much attention - "The vessel is the most elegant ever seen" wrote a contemporary observer "…..with gilt mouldings and the windows of plate-glass. Ornamental devices in abundance……producing a superb appearance."

After a remarkably colourful career during three reigns, Royal George's life as a working yacht came to an end in 1843, following the completion of the first royal steam yacht Victoria & Albert I. Thereafter relegated to the role of an accommodation ship for officers and men of the Royal Yacht flotilla and based at Portsmouth, she survived, astonishingly, until 1905 when she was finally broken up.

Sold for £620
Estimated at £300 - £500

(inc. buyer's premium of 24%)


Condition Report
Edge gilding somewhat rubbed and some light crazing overall.

We are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of this property. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Charles Miller Ltd is merely a subjective, qualified opinion. Prospective buyers should also refer to any Important Notices regarding this sale, which are printed in the Sale Catalogue. NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD “AS IS” IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS PRINTED IN THE SALE CATALOGUE.

 
ROYAL YACHT SERVING PLATE OFF ROYAL GEORGE, 1817
an oval creamware serving plate, by Sharpus & Co., Cockspur Street, London, blue and white transfer printed decoration with gilded and scalloped edge, the plain white centre bearing the Prince of Wales' feathers within a crowned royal garter -- 12in. wide x 9½in. high (30.5 x 24cm.)

Apparently produced for the wardroom of the Royal George, the royal yacht most used by George IV when he was Prince Regent (1811-20). Named for the Prince, the future George IV, rather than his father, the ailing George III, the Royal George was built at Deptford in 1817 and bore all the hallmarks of the Regent's flamboyant taste. Carrying a full ship-rig on her three masts, she was measured at 330 tons burden and was 103 feet long on her main deck with a 26½ foot beam. Luxuriously fitted out in a manner befitting her status, she attracted much attention - "The vessel is the most elegant ever seen" wrote a contemporary observer "…..with gilt mouldings and the windows of plate-glass. Ornamental devices in abundance……producing a superb appearance."

After a remarkably colourful career during three reigns, Royal George's life as a working yacht came to an end in 1843, following the completion of the first royal steam yacht Victoria & Albert I. Thereafter relegated to the role of an accommodation ship for officers and men of the Royal Yacht flotilla and based at Portsmouth, she survived, astonishingly, until 1905 when she was finally broken up.