Tue, 3rd Nov 2015 12:00

Maritime and Scientific Models, Instruments & Art ('Encounter')

 
  Lot 68
 

68

A RARE CRIMEAN WAR RUSSIAN NAVAL ENSIGN AND...

A RARE CRIMEAN WAR RUSSIAN NAVAL ENSIGN AND SWALLOW-TAILED ANSWERING PENNANT, CIRCA 1855
both comprising hand-stitched bunting panels of edged blue and white with canvas sleeves, the upper hem of the ensign bearing a sewn panel reading This Russian Ensign and Ansg. Pendant [sic] was taken from one of their boats at Sebastopol, by Mr. W.H. Cruys, CBM of H.M.S. Albion on the 9th (altered by hand to the 10th) Sept. 1855, the larger -- 33 x 49in. (84 x 125cm.)
(2)

At 3,111 tons, H.M.S. Albion was the largest 2-decker sailing ship built for the Royal Navy and the only example of her type designed by the controversial Sir William Symonds. Laid down at Plymouth in 1839 and launched in September 1842, she served first in the Channel Fleet (from 1843-48) and thereafter in the Mediterranean from 1849. One of the last sailing ships to see significant action, she was so badly damaged at the first bombardment of Sebastopol (17th October 1854) during the Crimean War that she had to be towed out of the line of battle and taken to Malta for repairs, returning to the Black Sea the next year. Although converted to screw propulsion in 1860-61, she never put to sea as a steam ship and was broken up as obsolete in 1884.

Sold for £12,400
Estimated at £400 - £600

(inc. buyer's premium of 24%)


Condition Report
condition commensurate with age and usage at sea but both extremely rare survivals

We are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of this property. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Charles Miller Ltd is merely a subjective, qualified opinion. Prospective buyers should also refer to any Important Notices regarding this sale, which are printed in the Sale Catalogue. NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD “AS IS” IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS PRINTED IN THE SALE CATALOGUE.

 
A RARE CRIMEAN WAR RUSSIAN NAVAL ENSIGN AND SWALLOW-TAILED ANSWERING PENNANT, CIRCA 1855
both comprising hand-stitched bunting panels of edged blue and white with canvas sleeves, the upper hem of the ensign bearing a sewn panel reading This Russian Ensign and Ansg. Pendant [sic] was taken from one of their boats at Sebastopol, by Mr. W.H. Cruys, CBM of H.M.S. Albion on the 9th (altered by hand to the 10th) Sept. 1855, the larger -- 33 x 49in. (84 x 125cm.)
(2)

At 3,111 tons, H.M.S. Albion was the largest 2-decker sailing ship built for the Royal Navy and the only example of her type designed by the controversial Sir William Symonds. Laid down at Plymouth in 1839 and launched in September 1842, she served first in the Channel Fleet (from 1843-48) and thereafter in the Mediterranean from 1849. One of the last sailing ships to see significant action, she was so badly damaged at the first bombardment of Sebastopol (17th October 1854) during the Crimean War that she had to be towed out of the line of battle and taken to Malta for repairs, returning to the Black Sea the next year. Although converted to screw propulsion in 1860-61, she never put to sea as a steam ship and was broken up as obsolete in 1884.