Wed, 20th Apr 2011 12:00

Maritime and Scientific Models, Instruments & Art (Princess)

 
  Lot 77
 

77

H.R.H. KING WILLIAM IV'S SAILING TELESCOPE<br/>the...

H.R.H. KING WILLIAM IV'S SAILING TELESCOPE
the tapering mahogany main tube with 2in. objective lens and single draw signed J&W Watkins/Charing Crofs/LONDON and further inscribed This glafs belonged to/His Majesty William the 4th/when he was at Sea/was given by him/to Lord Adolphus Fitz Clarence/who gave it to/Berkeley Paget/1831, the eyepiece with dust-slide (missing lens cap) -- 25¼in. (64cm.) closed

Jeremiah and Walter Watkins only worked between 1794 and 1798 from 5 Charing Cross, London, the partnership ending with Walter's death. Stocking a full range of optical and philosophical instruments of high quality, they were telescope makers by Royal Appointment to the Duke and Duchess of York and the Duke of Clarence, later William IV. The lot offered here bears a striking resemblance to the instrument held by the Duke whilst wearing his full dress naval uniform in the famous portrait painted by Sir Martin Archer Shee, circa 1800.

Lord Adolphus FitzClarence (1802-1856) was the seventh child (fourth son) of the happy-but-illegitimate family of five sons and five daughters created by the Duke of Clarence (later William IV) and the comic actress Dorothea Jordan at Bushy Park, Middlesex. Adolphus was sent to sea at the age of eleven, receiving his commission in 1821. In December 1826 he was made captain and had several commands before his father's coronation and thereafter he commanded the Royal Yacht until 1853 when he was promoted to flag rank. He died unmarried on 17th May 1856 at Newburgh Priory, Yorkshire.

The Hon Berkeley Paget (1780-1842), a politician, was the younger brother of Henry Paget (Marquis of Anglesey); Sir Arthur Paget; General Sir Edward Paget; and Sir Charles Paget, another naval officer who commanded the Royal Yacht prior to William and was given a fine telescope by George IV (please refer to sale 004 lot 109, 21 Oct 2009 in these rooms). It is presumed that Berkeley made the acquaintance of Lord Adolphus through his elder brother although in his own right he was a successful politician serving as MP for Anglesey from 1807 and later Milborne Port in 1820, and was a Lord of the Treasury between 1810-1826. Marrying well, he was well-connected in society and between this and his other illustrious brothers, was no doubt well acquainted with the Royal Family.

Provenance: The Hon. Berkeley Paget and thence by descent.

Sold for £9,672
Estimated at £3,000 - £5,000

(inc. buyer's premium of 24%)


 
H.R.H. KING WILLIAM IV'S SAILING TELESCOPE
the tapering mahogany main tube with 2in. objective lens and single draw signed J&W Watkins/Charing Crofs/LONDON and further inscribed This glafs belonged to/His Majesty William the 4th/when he was at Sea/was given by him/to Lord Adolphus Fitz Clarence/who gave it to/Berkeley Paget/1831, the eyepiece with dust-slide (missing lens cap) -- 25¼in. (64cm.) closed

Jeremiah and Walter Watkins only worked between 1794 and 1798 from 5 Charing Cross, London, the partnership ending with Walter's death. Stocking a full range of optical and philosophical instruments of high quality, they were telescope makers by Royal Appointment to the Duke and Duchess of York and the Duke of Clarence, later William IV. The lot offered here bears a striking resemblance to the instrument held by the Duke whilst wearing his full dress naval uniform in the famous portrait painted by Sir Martin Archer Shee, circa 1800.

Lord Adolphus FitzClarence (1802-1856) was the seventh child (fourth son) of the happy-but-illegitimate family of five sons and five daughters created by the Duke of Clarence (later William IV) and the comic actress Dorothea Jordan at Bushy Park, Middlesex. Adolphus was sent to sea at the age of eleven, receiving his commission in 1821. In December 1826 he was made captain and had several commands before his father's coronation and thereafter he commanded the Royal Yacht until 1853 when he was promoted to flag rank. He died unmarried on 17th May 1856 at Newburgh Priory, Yorkshire.

The Hon Berkeley Paget (1780-1842), a politician, was the younger brother of Henry Paget (Marquis of Anglesey); Sir Arthur Paget; General Sir Edward Paget; and Sir Charles Paget, another naval officer who commanded the Royal Yacht prior to William and was given a fine telescope by George IV (please refer to sale 004 lot 109, 21 Oct 2009 in these rooms). It is presumed that Berkeley made the acquaintance of Lord Adolphus through his elder brother although in his own right he was a successful politician serving as MP for Anglesey from 1807 and later Milborne Port in 1820, and was a Lord of the Treasury between 1810-1826. Marrying well, he was well-connected in society and between this and his other illustrious brothers, was no doubt well acquainted with the Royal Family.

Provenance: The Hon. Berkeley Paget and thence by descent.