Tue, 3rd Nov 2015 12:00

Maritime and Scientific Models, Instruments & Art ('Encounter')

 
  Lot 80
 

80

A PAIR OF SILVER SALTS FROM THE GERMAN...

A PAIR OF SILVER SALTS FROM THE GERMAN IMPERIAL STEAM YACHT HOHENZOLLERN II, CIRCA 1893
comprising two gilt-lined bowls on ball-and-claw feet conjoined with an Imperial eagle handle, engraved on lower left edge with cipher for Wilhelm II and impressed with maker's marks for 'D. Vollgold & Söhne' - 2 x 4½in. (5 x 11.5cm.)

The Royal Yacht Hohenzollern II was launched in 1893 by the shipbuilder A.G. Vulcan in Stettin, which was at that time part of the Prussian Empire. She measured a vast 122 meters in length with a width of 14 meters. Dwarfing her British equivalent, she became a regular sight during Royal Cowes Week where the Kaiser hosted receptions aboard her with German military bands contrasting sharply with Prince (later King) Edward's informal string quartets playing popular music hall songs on the Squadron's lawns. She also served something of a dual purpose being both a recreational and a naval command vessel, combining lavish interiors with special cannons which had been a gift from the renowned industrialist Alfred Krupp. In June 1914 the Kaiser was aboard her for his summer cruise in the Norwegian fjords when he learnt about Sarajevo. Laid up from the end of July, she was never used again and was scrapped by the Weimar Republic in 1923.

Sold for £521
Estimated at £400 - £600

(inc. buyer's premium of 24%)


Condition Report
Fine condition.

We are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of this property. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Charles Miller Ltd is merely a subjective, qualified opinion. Prospective buyers should also refer to any Important Notices regarding this sale, which are printed in the Sale Catalogue. NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD “AS IS” IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS PRINTED IN THE SALE CATALOGUE.

 
A PAIR OF SILVER SALTS FROM THE GERMAN IMPERIAL STEAM YACHT HOHENZOLLERN II, CIRCA 1893
comprising two gilt-lined bowls on ball-and-claw feet conjoined with an Imperial eagle handle, engraved on lower left edge with cipher for Wilhelm II and impressed with maker's marks for 'D. Vollgold & Söhne' - 2 x 4½in. (5 x 11.5cm.)

The Royal Yacht Hohenzollern II was launched in 1893 by the shipbuilder A.G. Vulcan in Stettin, which was at that time part of the Prussian Empire. She measured a vast 122 meters in length with a width of 14 meters. Dwarfing her British equivalent, she became a regular sight during Royal Cowes Week where the Kaiser hosted receptions aboard her with German military bands contrasting sharply with Prince (later King) Edward's informal string quartets playing popular music hall songs on the Squadron's lawns. She also served something of a dual purpose being both a recreational and a naval command vessel, combining lavish interiors with special cannons which had been a gift from the renowned industrialist Alfred Krupp. In June 1914 the Kaiser was aboard her for his summer cruise in the Norwegian fjords when he learnt about Sarajevo. Laid up from the end of July, she was never used again and was scrapped by the Weimar Republic in 1923.