A SHERATON REVIVAL 1ST CLASS RESTAURANT CHAIR FROM THE WHITE STAR LINER MAJESTIC (EX-BISMARCK), CIRCA 1914
carved and moulded with satinwood stringing, plush sprung covered seat, fluted legs with cross stretchers and deck securing point -- 35½ x 22½in. (90 x 57cm.)
Built by Blohm & Voss for the Hamburg-America Line, Bismarck (sister of the Imperator) was incomplete when War erupted in 1914. Handed over to White Star in 1918, she was completed by them and entered service as their largest vessel, registering 56,551 tons and enjoyed a service speed of 23 knots. With the merger/takeover by Cunard in 1934, she was sold to the Navy and renamed Caledonia to serve as a training ship. Gutted by fire in 1939, she sank at her moorings, finally re-floated for breaking at Inverkeithing in 1943.